Portmeirion is famous for its Italinate village sited in an attractive location on the Traeth Bach estuary. Sir Clough Williams-Ellis acquired the land for the village in 1925. At the time it was a run down estate with a dilapidated mansion. This featured as the hospital in The Prisoner, but is known as Castell Deudraeth, one of two hotels within the grounds of Portmeirion. Sir Clough Williams-Ellis designed many of the buildings although some were sourced from abroad and re assembled here. Portmeirion’s claim to fame is without a doubt linked to the 1967 TV series the Prisoner.
Wel-come! The Gate House, built 1954-55
The village, as it was known, became the location that everyone wanted to visit to see where No.6 had struggled against the authoritarian village masters, especially the ever-changing Number Two who of course became No.6 in the final episode! Many of the locations in Portmeirion are just as they were in the Prisoner. Even No.6’s cottage is there – near the splendid Gate House that heralds the main entrance into the village.
The rear of No. Six’s cottage (The Round House built 1959-60) which is also the home of the Prisoner Shop
The home of No.2 – the ‘Green Dome.’ Actually the Pantheon, built 1960-61
Links to features and further information on the Prisoner & Portmeirion: